Thursday, November 20, 2008

Heading Out (Number 1 in a series)

“Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O LORD. They rejoice in your name all day long; they exult in your righteousness. For you are their glory and strength, and by your favor you exalt our horn. Indeed, our shield belongs to the LORD, our king to the Holy One of Israel.” (Psalm 89:15-18, NIV)

As I watched the distant mountains grow closer, I found myself in an ambiguous mood. On the one hand, I thanked God for the opportunity to make this move to California to help care for my mother. On the other, I grieved the people and resources I was leaving behind me in Illinois, especially my dear son.

I would reach my destination tomorrow evening. For today, it was just Jesus, me and my little dog in the car. In truth, there was no room for anyone else in it as we sped across the mile. The trunk was jammed solidly, the back seat was filled to the ceiling and even the floor in front of the passenger seat where my dog rode was packed up to the level of the dashboard. Even the roof was loaded with a makeshift roof rack and a rooftop carrier. I likened myself to the folks fleeing the Dust Bowl in the 1930s – packed as high as I could go and still leaving things behind.

Lest it seem I am unhappy about this move, I’m not. After a long time in prayer and seeking God’s will, I am convinced this is what He would have me to do. I don’t know exactly what He has ahead for me, but He does and that’s enough for me. God has never failed to provide what I needed, often before I even knew I needed it. Granted, sometimes it took a different form than I would have preferred, but true to His word, all things worked together for His glory and my good.

So I am being transplanted – a discarded weed taken from one place to be planted in a place where I’ll be (I sincerely hope) a useful contributor to the landscape. Ahead of me is that new garden spot, waiting for me to put down new roots. And I’ve got Jesus to help me get those roots deep and strong.

Can you think of times when you felt you ‘weeded out’ by life? Looking back, what are the blessings you gained from being ‘transplanted’ into new circumstances? Praise God that He is with us in all circumstances, ready to nurture us into full bloom!

Onward to the future!

© 2008 Mary Beth Magee

No comments: