Saturday, June 13, 2009

Hold Fast to the Truth (Number 34 in a series)

“He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.” Deuteronomy 32:4 (KJV)

To be unemployed is a real eye-opener. My checkbook is under new scrutiny and everything I spend is weighed strictly against what I can expect to come in. My time is at the same time valueless (in terms of earnings) and precious (because I can spend time with my mother and sister and her family). Job hunting is now my occupation.

The world has a huge tendency to judge our value in life by what we “do” for a living. In that value system, I am a failure, a waste, a loser. And oh, does the Deceiver latch on to that refrain. Fortunately, I have the God of Truth to tell me differently.

Satan says “You are useless.” God says “I have a plan for you.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

“You should worry about your finances – they aren’t getting any better,” points out Satan.

“Don’t be afraid,” God says. “I’ve loved you since before you were born.” (Isaiah 44; Psalm 139)

When Satan says that no one wants me, God reminds me that He loves me so much that He gave His Son for me (John 3:16).

As the group Casting Crowns points out in their wonderful song “The Voice of Truth,” I can choose which voice to heed. Each of us has that choice as we face the world and its voices of fear, accusation and disdain.

Who will you listen to? Who will you believe? Will you let the world tear you down? Or will you, as Casting Crowns sings, choose “to listen and believe the Voice of Truth?”

Father, thank You for being the voice of truth in a world of lies and accusations. Help me to always tune my ear to Your words and my heart to Your love.

© 2009 Mary Beth Magee

No comments: