Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Frustration (Number 39 in a series)

“In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me. Deliver my soul, O LORD…” Psalm 120:1-2a (KJV)

My mother has good days and she has bad days. When she has a bad day, it means I will have a bad day as well. I love her dearly, but sometimes she exhausts me with her demands.

She is too cold, but the covers I put on her are too heavy.

She asks for water while I am balancing a measuring cup and her liquid medication, and gets upset when I stop to put down the cup and bottle to get her water.

She doesn’t like the clothes I picked out for her to wear, but gets angry and accuses me of being ‘mean’ to her when I suggest she pick out something she would prefer.

She is restless and goes from bed to chair to bed, up and down, a restless wraith haunting my soul with her discomfort.

Do I sound as though I’m whining? In a way, I am. I get frustrated with not being able to fix things for her, to make everything all right again. My frustration expresses itself in a ‘poor me pity party.’

Finally, I do what I should have done in the first place. I remember to turn it over to God. He feels Mama’s pain and restlessness. He knows my aggravation. He loves us both. When I ask, He calms my heart and gives me an added dose of patience to deal with Mama’s moods.

Do you have a source of frustration, a problem you can’t seem to solve? Cry out to Him. He will hear and help. Perhaps He will calm the storm, as He did for the disciples. Perhaps He will calm you.

Thank you, Father, for the peace You bring us. Help us to remember where to turn when the problems mount and aggravation grows. Thank you for loving us even when we are most unlovable. Thank you for hearing our call.

©2009 Mary Beth Magee

No comments: