Friday, October 23, 2009

One Door - a devotion (Number 41 in a series)

“Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20 (American Standard Version)

Some days, Jesus taps lightly at the door of my heart, making Himself available to me but not being pushy. More a reminder of His presence than a demand for entry, His is the knock of a well-loved friend. As I rush to open the door and enter His presence, I rejoice that He would take the time to call on me, to share my day.

There are other days when I hear Jesus knocking at the door so clearly I could think it a physical barricade. Desirous of sharing my company, He is persistent in His quest. When I feel most pulled in a dozen directions by life, I could almost call out “Go away, I don’t have time to come to the door right now.” In my frustration, I consider sending Him away like an unwanted door-to-door salesperson.

Ironically, those are the days I need His fellowship most. Those terrible times when nothing is going right and I feel least lovable are the times He can show me His power most clearly, He can ease my burden most dramatically. Praise God that He doesn’t let my disarray dissuade Him from wanting me.

The odd thing is - it’s the same door. Whether I hang a beautiful wreath and put out a welcome mat, or I slide the bolt and lock it fast, the door doesn’t change. There is one door, one way into my heart and I have control over whether or not I let Him enter.

In the same way, there is one way to God and that is through His Son, Jesus Christ. God identified Jesus as His Son (Matthew 3:17 and 17:5; Mark 1:11 and 9:7; Luke 3:22 and 9:35); Jesus identified Himself as The Way (John 14:6). Just as we choose whether or not to let Him into our heart, so we also choose whether or not to accept Him as the way, the truth, the life.

Have you opened the door to Him? Are you being blessed by His presence? Or are you trying to ignore Him, hoping He’ll go away? As long as you are breathing, He’ll be knocking, offering you His salvation and His companionship. He is the way to the Father, the way to peace, the way to eternal life. Let Him in. You’ll be glad you did.

Gracious Father, we thank You for the gift of Your Son, who does not give up on us. Help us to welcome His knock as a visit from a dear loved one. Give us wisdom to open the door to Him and fall into His arms.

© 2009 Mary Beth Magee

No comments: