Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Song Comes From God - a devotion (number 49 in a series)

“The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.” Exodus 15:2, KJV


One of my favorite gospel songs was written by Bill and Gloria Gaither, God gave the song.” Many of my favorites come from their pens, but this one is especially dear to me.

In the song, they talk about God being the source of the Song and giving the ability to sing that Song in the face of adversity as well as blessing. The opening verse says:

“You ask me why my heart keeps singing,
Why I can sing when things go wrong.
But since I've found the source of music
I just can't help it. God gave the song.”

What a powerful reminder to me in these days when so very much seems to be going wrong! My mother’s deteriorating health, my non-existent finances, catastrophes in the world…finding a bright spot often takes a determined effort. Those are the times when I cling to the Song ever more tightly and let God’s strength and song lift me and keep me singing.

In the same vein, “He Keeps Me Singing” (Luther Bridges, 1884-1948) reminds me that Jesus is the one who keeps me singing no matter where I go. One of my favorite hymns, Babbie Mason recorded a version of it on her album “Timeless” and reminded a new generation of music lovers of the message.

I have discovered that just singing a song of praise will lift my spirits. Is it the action of giving praise or the verbalization of His faithfulness in the lyrics, or a combination of the two that pulls me up? I only know it works.

Next time the world is trying its best to drag you down, lift a song of praise to the Giver of Song. Let His love write the song on your heart and carry you through.

Father, thank You for the song You put in our hearts, for being the source of all we need. Please accept our songs of praise as a gift of love to You.

No comments: