Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Wall Around My Heart

Author Mary DeMuth released a new book, entitled "The Wall Around Your Heart: How Jesus Heals You When Others Hurt You." Her book inspired my devotional poem. You can hear me read it here.





I thought to keep me safe from pain.
The walls I built stood tall and strong.
Within, I listened to the rain
And sang, alone, my aching song.

With none to disappoint my hopes
And none to strike the heart of me,
I labeled those who cared as dopes.
They forged their chains, but I was free!

One day, a songbird breached the wall
And sang of joy and love and peace.
Each note broke stones. I watched them fall.
My panic grew with each release.

I peered out through the breached rampart,
Afraid of what might wait outside.
He waited there – with loving heart –
Until I learned that all I tried

Could not protect or heal or win.
At best, I only “saved” myself
From feeling joy and love within.
My heart would not stay on the shelf.

The love of Him who loved me first
O’erwhelmed the threat of hurt and pain.
With peace, He quenched my fearful thirst.
And brought me from my walls again.

My freedom comes from Jesus’ love
And gives me leave to love you, too.
Receive His joy, sent from above
To find the freedom meant for you.



© Mary Beth Magee, 2013




No comments: